Google Research: 70% of Mobile Searchers Call Businesses
Mobile marketers have long thought that about 50% of mobile searchers called businesses as a result of their search. These people tap the phone number on a mobile landing page or the number in a paid ad itself and immediately connect with a business.
Google now says that number is low.
According to new data from Google, the number of people that call a business immediately after a mobile search is much, much higher than previously thought. Google says that 70% of mobile searchers call a business immediately after their search. They tap. They call.
After the all-important map look-up, calls are the next action of choice following a business search on a smartphone. Searchers want to connect with businesses immediately.
Google published this new data a few days ago.
Here are some highlights:
– 70% of mobile searchers report they click-to-call directly from the search results to a business
– Google is now driving 40 million calls each month directly to businesses
– Google found that “calls are not only an important channel for research and transaction, but even the presence of a phone number in search results can strongly influence the perception of a business’s brand.”
– 76% use call features to make an appointment for local professional services
– Calls from Google Adwords last an average of 6 minutes
– AdWords advertisers that implement click-to-call see an increase of 8% in the CTR of their ads.
Why Calls Are Good
Some marketers might believe this increasing call volume is a bad thing. Those marketers would be wrong. Calls are good. Here are a few reasons why:
– According to BIA Kelsey, 64% of businesses say calls are the best leads they get.
– Data pulled from LogMyCalls indicates that phone calls are 12x more likely to turn into a customer than a web lead.
– BIA Kelsey says that it takes 4 web leads to produce the revenue of 1 phone call.
Long story short: calls are good.
Calls are becoming more common. Research from BIA/Kelsey indicates that call volume will continue to increase at local businesses. So, if you’re an agency, getting credit for all these calls is increasingly important.
Second, mobile search is changing marketing analytics. Mobile search generates more calls than ever. That means call analytics are more important than ever.
Posted by Jason Wells on October 24th, 2013 at 2:31 pm